Truefood Black-Eye Beans – are NON – GMO also referred to as Black-eye peas they are a great source of protein and iron, making them ideal for those who follow vegan and vegetarian diets. A serving of beans contains no cholesterol, lots of complex carbohydrates and virtually no fat. In addition, beans are a good source of B vitamins, potassium and digestive health promoting fibre.
Black-eye beans are small creamy textured beans with a black ‘scar’ where they were joined at the pod. They have an earthy flavour and are commonly used in salsas or as a meat replacement in burgers and curries.
Black-eye Beans are:
- High in fibre and can aid in digestion and maintain digestive health
- Rich in Potassium which can help to lower blood pressure and maintain a healthy heart
- High levels of folate in Black-eye beans help bodies make new cells and aid in a healthy pregnancy
- Rich in Vitamin A that boosts eye and skin health
- High in B vitamins that help to maintain energy levels throughout the day
Product of Madagascar – Packed in South Africa
To soak overnight – Rinse and cover with water in a non-metal container. Leave to stand for 12 hours.
Quick soak – Cover black-eye beans with water (about 2cm above the beans), microwave for 3 minutes on high and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Cook as described below.
Cooking method – Rinse well, cover with generous amount of water and simmer gently for 1 ¬Ω hours until done
Cooking tip – Only mix in salt and vegetables when the beans begin to soften